Saturday, November 12, 2016

Every day...

...I pick up at least one piece of litter, and place it in a litter-bin. That's the commitment.  At least one. Every day.

I know...I know...one piece of litter is nothing, it's unimportant, it's trivial. But this is an action that at least minimally fulfils the "one good deed every day" commitment into which I entered as a Girl Guide many decades ago: I have several years of non-compliance so catching up will take a long while.

Picking up one piece obviously sometimes leads to gathering up a good deal more and leaving a railway station/bus-stop/walkway/corner of a park  at least temporarily improved. It not infrequently involves a conversation with others who offer encouragement and/or join in to help. It is sometimes horrid (I carry tissue-wipes, and also a plastic bag into which to put the litter until it can be placed in a bin). It probably makes me look daft, but that's too bad.

One piece of  litter. Every day.

Join in?

2 comments:

grams ramblings said...

Love it Joanna . I will definitely join in. It costs very little but if enough joined in the impact would be tremendous.
I just read this because I was browsing trying to find any writing on Stir Up Sunday and remembered that you'd written the book " Feasts and Seasons" which has an explanation about it. Unfortunately, like many other of my good books it was "lent " to someone in the past, never to find its way back home - oh well...

gramswisewords.blogspot.com

Joanna Bogle said...

Many thanks! "Stir up" Sunday is the last one of the Church's year...from the Anglican prayer-book which starts the Collect for that day with "Stir up, we beseech thee..." A useful reminder for getting going on making the Christmas pudding...

I tend to "stir up" on the First Sunday of Advent...

My "Feasts and Seasons" book was reprinted in a new editrion under the title "A Book of Seasons and Celebrations" and is still available from Graceing Pub;lishing...

Many thanks for supporting the litter-hunt. Let's all spread the word...

v. best wishes

Joanna