Sunday, January 11, 2015

The Thames at low tide, on a cold clear London morning...

...it was glorious to walk along, and feel at one with centuries of London's history. Always feels weird pottering along a stretch of land that will be underwater in an hour or so. The press recently highlighted a ship that went aground in the Channel - there's a sandbank that is revealed at low tide, and men sometimes go out there to play cricket, just to show that it's possible...

I've been reading a life of John Wesley, simply because whenever I go to the College library in pursuit of my post-graduate work, I always take away something to read on the train home, and after starting with WWI ( because of the anniversary in 2014 etc) I am now working my way back through the 19th and 18th centuries. I find that tackling modern history in this way works well after a few hours spent with  Polycarp and Irenaeus and pondering Nicea and Chalcedon...

The bells of St Paul's were pealing out as I made my way along the riverside, and then I was met by the peal of St Saviour's as I hurried through the Borough Market for Mass at Precious Blood Church.
A full church for the 11 am Mass, and we had a retired  "Flying Bishop", Mgr Edwin Barnes, concelebrating with the Rector...later, making my way to Islington on a family visit, walking along by the canal, I found myself pondering the long, long history of Christianity in our land...

No comments: