Friday, April 03, 2009

By train to...

...the Wirral (USA readers, you can jolly well look it up on a map) with England looking beautiful in pale damp spring sunshine as we flew through the country, via that reassuring stop at Crewe (which always has a slight feel of Victorian-railway-station-splendour about it)and a change at Chester.Here, I had time to spare so got comfortably stuck into my theology and philosophy studies (Maryvale degree,and I'm loving it) with coffee before catching the local train to Eastham Rake. Warm welcome from the delightful family with whom I was to stay. A delicious supper. Their young son had just written a story, about a troll with a body made partly of a disused washing-machine. Most enjoyable.

On to a large gathering at the local church,Christ the King, Bromborough. This was an evening organised by the ladies of the parish. First, we had Stations of the Cross in the church - always extraordinary powerful and moving on a Lent evening..."We adore Thee, O Christ, and we praise Thee/ Because by Thy Holy Cross Thou hast redeemed the world..." Then into the parish hall and in due course a talk from JB about "Feasts and Seasons in the Church". (If you want to know more, you can read the book).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I must look for that excellent book in the US ...I will try EWTN..I do so enjoy recipes of the season..Soon it will be Spring time here (I hope)..Snow just doesn't want to give up in the northern tier of states

My area of the US is among the top Cherry growers, and I hope to find some wonderful uses for them

It is such fun finding out about the history of food..You bring a lot of happiness to a great many of us.