Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Ash Wednesday...

...is looming as I write this. I have just one and a half hours to eat any cake there is left in the house. Then it's Lent.

Westminster Cathedral is a particularly dramatic place to go and get ashes, partly because it's always so crowded. Also, I could whizz off by bike and take a quick look at the new statue of the Queen Mum just unveiled nearby. I suppose that wouldn't be a particularly Lenten thing to do, but it would be vaguely reassuring in these messy times. A neighbour just popped over as I started writing this evening, with a copy of an indignant letter he'd written to a newspaper, complaining about Govt corruption ( and golly, I agree with him - see my own earlier post, below)and wanting to talk about it. Things are so all-wrong in our poor old country at the moment. Well, that's something to pray about in Lent, of course....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was very impressed at the way you managed to talk, whisk and toss pancakes on EWTN today. You deserved that sugary coffee.

Have a holy Lent!

Anonymous said...

Fewer than 470 days to the general election now. I'm sure you know which way to vote.

Margot's Corner said...

After our own leader gave his speech last night, it might be something for me to pray for during Lent also that our country might stay afloat both morally and economically.

Anonymous said...

I managed to drink all my beer. Just one bottle of wine left I couldn't manage to get rid of.

I also managed to go to confession on Shrove Tuesday. I think we should promote it more.