Thursday, November 06, 2008

Visits...

...to schools have been a major feature of life this week. Yesterday I went to give a talk about journalism to a Catholic girls' school in Upminster - this is part of a programme of talks given as part of the Tamezin project. I hope girls from the school - who were all attentive, friendly, and looked v. nice in their blue uniforms - will take part in the Tamezin Young Writers Award.

Earlier in the week, I was my own old school, St Philomena's in Carshalton, delving into historical records, for research into the life of a former headmistress, Sister Mary Alban, who went on to do some remarkable work at a college in India...extraordinary to be sitting there, overlooking the familiar grounds, studying the school magazines and other material from the utterly vanished world of the 1930s...the life and sub-culture of teenagers in those days so utterly different from the one I knew in the 1960s...

No comments: