Tuesday, October 21, 2008

We spent some time...

...at the weekend trying to get rid of domestic rubbish. It's not so easy. For some reason, the local dump requires you to produce evidence that you are a local resident before taking rubbish there. Why? Surely it should be made as easy as possible to put rubbish in the correct place? As it happens, it was no problem for us - J. had his driving licence with our address on it, and we conscientiously placed the paper rubbish in one place, the old suitcase in another, the big old tray in another...but suppose we had been without the relevant papers, and were, for example, helping out some other family who were about to move in to a new home and wanted to clear domestic junk from its surroundings first? I just don't understand why the local authorities are so keen to encourage people to dump their rubbish out in the countryside or on the roadside, by making them carry documentation before using the correct place. What possible sanity can there be in this Soviet-style emphasis on bureaucracy?

2 comments:

John the organist said...

Oh don't I know it. I went to one "tip" last week and was not well received.I'd sorted nothing beforehand, do you normaly when emptying a shed???? I was told to park,, then I took allout. It was only then the man said take this and that there and there!!! I was not impressed as it's a trek between the bins, and also dangerous to climb with heavy wood bits. I soon left having deposited some bits. He said he would report me if I didn'tpickit all up. I went to another yesteerdy and oh so much more helpful. Stillhad to sort but that was OK. Liz.

Anonymous said...

The recycling centre costs more to run than it brings in in recycled goods. So the council tries to discourage usage by banning non-residents from taking stuff there.