Saturday, April 19, 2008

Early start...

...this morning. Car came to collect me from Mother's - where I happened to be staying overnight - to take me to the BBC for a discussion on the Today programme about the Holy Father's visit to the USA. I asked M. to say some prayers as I always get v. nervous.

The tone of the discussion was much more honest and realistic than many previous ones about Pope Benedict: there seems finally be to an understanding that this is a man of outstanding intellect and amiable qualities who as successor of St Peter has something useful to say...

2 comments:

Phil said...

I heard you this morning - You were absolutely fabulous – all guns blazing with good, old-fashioned, Catholic gusto! I sensed that Lavinia Byrne’s antipathy towards the Holy Father nonetheless coloured her surprisingly restrained comments.

Anonymous said...

Isn't it infuriating. My computer is about 1 yesr old and quite capable of playing audio clips, but the BBC made me go through downloading a listener to hear you. Software battles for market dominance.

Anyway, I'm afraid Dr Byrne sounded dreadful, with her talk of a "good cop bad cop" strategy on the part of the Pope, human rights of Catholics, and then the old clique about bringing the Church into the 21st century.

You should have asked her "do you really think the Holy Father would use a political marketing technique?", "What human rights would you say the Pope is violating?" and "isn't taking religion seriously what distinguishes the 21st century from the 20th?"

At least your opponent agreed it wasn't a good idea to keep banging on about sex all the time.

However you did really well. My responses were thought out, whilst yours had to be in the heat.